Friday, February 7, 2014

Reading a Language

I am still reading. Not like the time before I drown in an ocean of papers, journals and books on energy - my work area. But, I am still reading.

Last year, I succesfully managed to read around 15 pages of the debut novel of Swedish author Jonas Jonasson, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. Not too bad, huh! ;-)

Anyway, one thing for sure, I can't stop  my self from buying a new book every time I found the book shop at the airport. This time, before departure from Jakarta Soekarno Hatta's airport, I went to Periplus and bought the latest masterpiece of Bill Bryson, One Summer: America, 1927. Seems like this book will be a very good companion during two weeks bussiness trip to Cambodia and Myanmar. Reading a history that changed America into a great country that happened in one summer in 1927. Pretty good choice, huh!

But, I was wrong. Reading a history book after long hiatus on book reading was not a good way to boost back your reading mood. I stucked in Prologue, reading a thousand names of someone who is trying to fly. It's supposed to be a great book to read, but I think it only works if I read it in my balcony at home in the Sunday morning.

But lucky me as I found another interesting yet easy to read book, A Little Book of Language by David Chrystal at Monument Books, a bookstore at Phnom Penh International airport. Same with One Summer, this book is also a history book, a history about language, but David wrote it in an easy word. Every chapter is short but informative enough to tell you a story. Read Chapter 1 Baby-talk where David show us that we sometimes do some silly thing with language when we talk to a newborn baby.
Saying: "Oh you are gorgeous, you are gorgeous, you are, you are, you are, oh yes you are ... hello ...  aren't you beautiful", with a rounded lips.
Hahahaha, I did it once, no twice ... mmm, ten times, not ... thousand times with my baby boy. :-D

Even last time, I talked with him and told him about the day in Nay Pyi Taw through Facetime, but you know what he did, he just busy with his own bussines, hahaha.

But, a lot of interesting thing that I learn from this little history book of language. Reccomended!

Btw, this is my last night in Nay Pyi Taw, another one night in Yangon tomorrow, before heading back to Jakarta on Saturday. Can't wait to meet my baby boy again, and off course his Mama, my beautiful wife ;-).

OK, bed time. See you folks.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Halo, terima-kasih sudah berbagi pendapat di sini.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home